I was fortune to read the in-flight magazine in Southwest Airlines and stumbled on an interesting article from a book called “Push Has Come To Shove: Getting our kids the education they deserve”, by Steve Perry, Capital Preparatory Magnet School. Steve lists several key questions as central to figuring out if teachers have what it takes to create winners out of children. Some of these points may be relevant to adult education as well.
1. What do you do in your free time?
2. How are you going to ensure that all your kids go to college?
3. Prove that you are a winner, we are playing for kid’s lives here.
4. Tell me how you create a lesson plan?
5. Which mandatory after school activity would you lead and why? Why are they important?
6. Why should I care about your subject?
7. How would you react if 20% of your students fail?
8. What specific examples would you cite to prove that kids have learnt under your guidance?
Answers to these questions will definitely help identify those teachers that are truly passionate about what they do and the impact it has on the future generation.